CSIM Annual Meeting 2017
|CSIM Annual Meeting 2017
in collaboration with the ACP Ontario Chapter Annual Scientific Meeting
November 1-4, 2017
Hyatt Regency Toronto
370 King St W, Toronto, ON M5V 1J9
- Click here to view the Final Program (pdf format).
- To download the faculty / planning committee conflict disclosure summary, click here.
Certificate of Attendance
- Click here to download a certificate of attendance in excel format (automatically calculates credit hours).
- Click here to download a certificate of attendance in PDF format.
- Click here to claim your MOC credits at the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada Mainport site.
Presentation Slides and Evaluation Forms
Your feedback is appreciated! Please click here to complete the general conference evaluation, and click the links below to evaluate individual sessions you attended.
To download available presentation slides (in PDF format), please click the session title links below.
Please note that not all speakers wished to have their slides published.
Presentation slides/materials/information from the CSIM Annual Meetings, and other CSIM events, are posted for information only and do not constitute medical advice. The opinions in the slides do not necessarily reflect those of the CSIM. The CSIM does not endorse nor guarantee the validity of any statements or information therein. Slides may be subject to third party copyright and should not be reproduced without permission from the author.
WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2017
Perioperative Medicine (evaluation form)
- Delirium and Cognitive Impairment in the Perioperative Period – Dr. Richard Sztramko
- CCS Perioperative Guidelines – When to order a BNP and What to do with a Positive Troponin – Dr. Vikas Tandon
- Preoperative Frailty – Dr. George Heckman
Obstetric Medicine (evaluation form)
- Thrombosis in Pregnancy and Anticoagulation – Dr. Shannon Bates
- Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy and Updates – Dr. Shital Gandhi
- Medications in Pregnancy: Dispelling Myths and Ensuring Safety – Dr. Geena Joseph
Healthcare QI Workshop (evaluation form)
- Overview of QI Methods and Stats – Dr. Tom MacMillan
- Achieving Multidisciplinary QI in a Healthcare Institution – Dr. David Frost
- How to Think Critically About QI Projects – Dr. Peter Wu
Critical Care Update – Dr. Shelly Dev and Dr. Natalie Wong (evaluation form)
The North American Opioid Crisis – Dr. David Juurlink (evaluation form)
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 2, 2017
Choosing Wisely: From an Idea to an International Movement – Dr. Wendy Levinson (evaluation form)
- W01. Appropriate Use and Interpretation of Cardiac Biomarkers – Dr. Vikas Tandon (evaluation form)
- W02. When to Initiate Anticoagulation after a Bleeding Event – Dr. James Douketis (evaluation form)
- W03. Rheumatology for the Internist 2017 – Dr. Mark Matsos (evaluation form)
- W04. Practical Guide to Allergy and Immunology – Dr. Stephen Betschel (evaluation form)
- W05. Pitfalls in the Pituitary and Addressing the Adrenals – Jeannette Goguen (evaluation form)
- W06. Hepatitis C Drug Treatment in 2017 – Dr. David K. Wong (evaluation form)
- W07. What’s New in Lung Cancer – Dr. Harvey Wong (evaluation form)
- W08. Update in Addiction Medicine – Dr. Rajesh Gupta (evaluation form)
- W09. Update on COPD – Dr. Matthew Stanbrook (evaluation form)
- W10. Update in Dementia and Cognitive Impairment Syndromes – Dr. Micheline Gagnon (evaluation form)
- W11. Medical Assistance in Dying: The first year – Dr. John Ailon and Dr. James Downar (evaluation form)
- Research/QI Workshop and Networking Session (evaluation form)
CSIM Research and Quality Improvement Oral Presentation Competition (evaluation form)
- The Impact of Diabetes on Cost and Frequency of Hospital Admissions: Data from the General Medicine Inpatient (GEMINI) Cohort Study – Jin (Hyoungjin) Choi, University of Toronto
- Access to Naloxone in Canada: A National Survey of Community Pharmacies – Alex Cressman, University of Toronto
- Prevalence and Determinants of Anemia in Refugees Resettled to Canada – Marta Davidson, University of Calgary
- DREAMS: Does Routine Echocardiography Affect Management of Stroke? – Nicola Goldberg, University of Toronto
- Follow-up of Incidental Pulmonary Nodules on Coronary Computed Tomography Angiography – Lezlie Markell, University of Toronto
- SGLT-2 Inhibitors and the Risk of Infections: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis of Randomized Controlled Trials – Robert Puckrin, University of Toronto
- Defibrillator Design and Usability May Be Impeding Timely Defibrillation – Marc Reeson, University of Ottawa
- Understanding the Impact of Physicians on Hospital Length-of-stay Using a Novel Application of Intra-class Correlation Coefficients – Zahra Sohani, University of Toronto
Quality Improvement Presentations
- Improving Long-Term Care Transfer Reports to the Emergency Department – Stephanie Gottheil, Western University
- Improving Communication at Hospital Discharge: A Resident Driven Quality Improvement Initiative – Matthew Mittelstadt, University of Saskatchewan
FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 2017
Top Five Papers – Dr. Amol Verma and Dr. Kieran Quinn (evaluation form)
Click here to listen to a recording of this session, released as an episode of The Rounds Table podcast; click here to listen to part 2 of this session.
- W12. Evaluation and Management of Secondary Hypertension – Dr. George Dresser (evaluation form)
- W13. Heart Failure Therapy and the General Internist: What’s new? – Dr. Finlay McAlister (evaluation form)
- W14. Dermatology for the Internist – Dr. Scott Walsh (evaluation form)
- W15. Internal Medicine Aspects as they relate to Preparation of the Bariatric Surgery Patient – Dr. Stephen Glazer (evaluation form)
- W16. Zika: What to tell your Anxious Traveller – Dr. Isaac Bogoch (evaluation form)
- W17. Medical Education: CBD 2018, what to expect? – Dr. Lindsay Melvin and Dr. Lynfa Stroud (evaluation form)
- W18. Longterm Risks and Therapeutic Benefits of Cannabis – Dr. Danial Schecter (evaluation form)
- W19. Antibiotic Stewardship: Rationale, impact, application – Dr. Paul Bunce (evaluation form)
- W20. Case-Based Approach to Medication Interactions – Dr. Steve Kravcik (evaluation form)
- W21. Case-Based Neuro: Approach to Tremors & Movement Disorders – Dr. Liesly Lee (evaluation form)
- W22. Palliative Care Case-Based Workshop – Dr. James Downar (evaluation form)
- W23. Vasculitic Pearls for the General Internist – Dr. Simon Carette (evaluation form)
- W24. Choosing Wisely Canada Workshop on Deprescribing – Cara Tannenbaum (evaluation form)
Senior and New Investigator Award Presentations (evaluation form)
- Too Much Medicine and Venous Thromboembolic Disease – Dr. Emily Gibson McDonald
- Clinical Research in 2017: Why it Still Matters – Dr. James Douketis
Ted Giles Clinical Vignettes (evaluation form)
- Paroxysmal Severe Symptomatic Hypertension and Hypotension: A Case Report – Adrian Chikwanha, University of Calgary
- Sickly Cough: A Case of Non-Resolving Pneumonia in a Patient with Sickle Cell Disease – Eric Coomes, University of Toronto
- Keep Calm and PLEX on – Michela Febbraro, Northern Ontario School of Medicine
- Is a Storm Coming? – Howard Gerson, McGill University
- Transplantation Opens the Floodgates – Karen Geukers, McMaster University
- Progressive Quadriplegia in a 24-Year-Old Woman: A Case to Highlight Canadian Challenges in the Management of Rare Disease – Noor Jawaid, University of Toronto
- The Cutaneous Flush: A Rare Entity – Wasim Mansoor, University of Toronto
- A Case of Disappearing Diabetes – Gavin Mazzetti, McMaster University
- When the Prostate is the Root of All Evil – Dr Steven Palanchuck, Université de Sherbrooke
- Recurrent, Refractory Cardiac Ischemia – Dr. Shannon Ruzycki, University of Calgary
SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 4, 2017
Understanding Diagnostic Error: A Primer for the General Internist – Dr. Janice Kwan (evaluation form)
- W25. Hematologic Disorders: Approach to Cytopenias – Dr. Martina Trinkaus (evaluation form)
- W26. Management of Patients Undergoing Dysvascular Limb Amputation – Dr. Amanda Mayo (evaluation form)
- W27. Fungal Infections for the General Internist: Case reviews and update – Dr. Wayne Gold (evaluation form)
- W28. A Clinician’s Guide to Testing for Coronary Heart Disease: CT Angiography vs. Nuclear Cardiac Testing vs. Stress Echocardiography – Dr. Mark Hansen (evaluation form)
- W29. Approach to Pulmonary Hypertension for the General Internist – Dr. George Chandy (evaluation form)
- W30. Preventing Cardiovascular Complications in Diabetes – Dr. John MacFadyen (evaluation form)
- W31. Update in Hematological Malignancies – Dr. Rena Buckstein (evaluation form)
- W32. CMPA: Legalities and responsibilities pertaining to wait times – Dr. Janet Nuth (evaluation form)
- W33. Cases in Quality Improvement – Dr. Emily Gibson McDonald (evaluation form)
- W34. Management of End-Stage Liver Disease – Dr. Erin Kelly (evaluation form)
- W35. Practical Update on Osteoporosis Risk Assessment and Management – Dr. Angela Cheung (evaluation form)
Maintenance of Certification
The 2017 CSIM Annual Meeting is an educational event approved as an Accredited Group Learning Activity under Section 1 of the Framework of Continuing Professional Development options as defined by the Maintenance of Certification Program of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada. 25% of each session will be dedicated to Q&A and interactivity. As an accredited provider, CSIM has approved this program.
Through an agreement between the American Medical Association and the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, the Canadian Society of Internal Medicine has designated this live educational activity, “CSIM Annual Meeting 2017”, for 21.25 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity. Live educational activities recognized by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as Accredited Group Learning Activities (Section 1) are deemed by the European Union of Medical Specialists (UEMS) eligible for ECMEC®.
Like and follow us @CSIMSCMI for #CSIM2017 conference updates!
Save the Dates!
CSIM Annual Meeting 2018
October 10-13, 2018 in Banff, AB
CSIM Annual Meeting 2019
October 2-5, 2019 in Halifax, NS
in collaboration with ASMIQ and ACP Quebec Chapter
2017 CSIM Annual Meeting
in collaboration with ACP Ontario Chapter
2018 CSIM Annual Meeting
in collaboration with ACP Western Chapters and Rocky Mountain Conference of General Internal Medicine